So Scott's homeless friends (yeah that's kind of his thing, but I'll save the explanation for another post) are always giving us fruit, and being homeless, it's usually fruit that is about to go bad. This week we got a pineapple. It looked pretty good, so I cut it up and threw about half of it into a smoothie. I knew I would have to eat the rest soon, and I was stoked to remember this project I saw on Pinterest!
All the instructions are in Japanese, but the pictures were clear enough (I thought). You slice the pineapple, bake it, and then it turns all "flowery" for you to top a cupcake with! Easy, right? Well, for anyone attempting this at home, I have done the troubleshooting for you. You're welcome. :)
1. Slice the pineapple reeeeally thin, and make sure your slices are relatively even. Mine were not, so I had some that we're completely blackened before the thicker ones were dried.
2. Bake on low heat. I started at 350, and it was too hot too fast so I brought it down to 200. I would imagine that's about right for drying them out.
3. Unless you like dried pineapple, this is more for looks. I thought they tasted pretty gross. They became even more acidic than usual, and had a distinct "cooked" taste.
I have a recipe from Scott's grandma for a pineapple cake that I absolutely adore. It was the perfect match for these cupcakes, and underneath the ugly flower was cupcake perfection!
Grandma Julie's Dump Cake
2 c. flour
2 c. sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
1 20 oz. can of crushed pineapple
Combine the dry ingredients. Stir in vanilla, eggs, and pineapple - including juice. Bake in a greased an at 350 for 35-40 minutes.
*cupcakes: bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Makes 24.
Cream Cheese Frosting
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 c. butter, softened
2 1/4 c. powdered sugar
Beat 'til creamy. Spread on warm cake.



0 comments:
Post a Comment